Capacity Development for Evidence-Based Land & Agricultural Policy Making

Analytical Reports

18.10.2017

Lifting the Moratorium on Farmland Sales: Why Supply and Demand Must Balance

What would affect the balance between the supply and demand and prices? >>> voxukraine.org
31.07.2017

What Political Parties Say about the Land Reform – and What the Voters Hear

How do political parties influence on the formation of citizens’ opinions about the land market >>> voxukraine.org
23.06.2017

Prospects for implementation of Land Ombudsman. Position in Ukraine. Legal aspects. SUMMARY

The opening of land market is expected to expand the forms of disposal of land rights. Along with ownership and use, the implementation of land market will also enable landowners to sell, pledge, and use their land in financial mechanisms and otherwise according to the principles of freedom of contract and the freedom to dispose of one’s property – as provided by the Constitution of Ukraine, the human rights, and international legal norms. >>> Analytical report
06.06.2017

Barriers to development of land mortgage crediting market in Ukraine and possible solutions.

In order to identify existing issues and develop proposals for overcoming them, the study included the following expert-based work: a review of the current status of land-secured loans; an analysis of current legislation and the regulatory base of the National Bank of Ukraine concerning the turnover of land...

>>> Summary (preliminary results)
31.05.2017

Beyond lifting the Moratorium: Preconditions for success

Experts agree that continued existence of the moratorium on agricultural land sales is a key reason for underutilization of Ukraine’s agriculture potential, under-investment in the country’s rural areas, and mediocre growth. Yet, when it is time to decide on whether or not to lift it, there was always a consensus that the preconditions for doing so are not met and it was extended for another time. Will this time be different?

>>> VoxUkraine
13.02.2017

Foreigners as a scary strawman for Ukrainians: paradoxes of the agricultural land market

Prohibition to sell land to foreigners will diminish the cost of land, as it was proven by Canada. How is this issue regulated in different countries and who should fear to sell land to foreigners?

>>> agravery.com
19.01.2017

Why are Ukrainians afraid of agricultural land market and are these fears justified?

Experts have accumulated a lot of materialabout the advantages and risks of lifting the moratorium on purchase or sale of agricultural land. The benefits for Ukraine’s economy and citizens from such step are so obvious that currently experts are debating rather about a specific model of opening the market for purchase and sale of agricultural land(in particular, when and on what preconditions such market is to be launched), but not about whether Ukraine in general needs such market or not. However, during the parliamentary hearings on “The regulation of agricultural land turnover: in search of a Ukrainian model” in December not many participants advocated an agricultural land market: part of politicians continued focusing on the risks and ignoring the benefits, traditionally appealing to “anti-moratorium” sentiments among citizens and employing populist rhetoric.

>>> agravery.com
26.12.2016

I support the moratorium, but want to be able to sell land: the paradoxes of Ukrainians’ attitudes to lifting the moratorium on sale of agricultural land, as revealed by sociology

The parliamentary hearings on the topic: “The regulation of agricultural land turnover: in search of a Ukrainian model”, held on December 21, once again showed that land reform in Ukraine (as in previous two decades) has been hindered by politicians’ populism and low awareness among citizens about the possibilities that a land market can provide to them personally. Policy-makers (except for quite a few) confirmed they do not hurry to lift the moratorium, appealing to a sort of unpopularity of such step among citizens. They refer to a rather superficial analysis of sociological research results. Moreover, such references can be seen as a vivid example of manipulation with public opinion because the results of an opinion poll directly depends on how the question is worded.

>>> agravery.com
14.12.2016

The Concept of Land Reform: Experts Come Up with 4 Alternative Algorithms to Lift the Moratorium – Now It is Politicians Who Should Take a Decision

The concept of land reform has been presented for expert consideration. This concept was developed by experts at various levels and positions dealing with land issues in Ukraine. These include individual representatives from the SAGSUR group of advisers to the Prime Minister; from the State Service of Ukraine for Geodesy, Cartography and Cadastre; the World Bank Group; the USAID ARDS project; and the World Bank’s project “Capacity Development for Evidence-Based Land & Agricultural Policy Making”. >>> Published: agravery.com
12.10.2016

Electronic Land Sales: Conditions for Success

It is probably impossible to completely exclude the influence of bureaucrats on land sales. What are the conditions for the success of this reform?
>>> voxukraine.org

Partners